Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! You have worked hard and persevered to earn your Missouri S&T degree during this extraordinary time. Members of the S&T Commencement Committee and COVID-19 Incident Command Team are working diligently to plan safe and memorable in-person ceremonies to honor our Spring 2021 graduates on Friday, May 14, and Saturday, May 15. We are writing you today to announce preliminary plans for the in-person ceremonies. Please note that the plans will evolve and may change leading up to the events, based on the information we have at the time.
For those who prefer to participate virtually, our ceremonies will be livestreamed on Missouri S&T’s Facebook page. Regardless of which ceremony you choose to attend, Missouri S&T will confer your degrees when you have completed all requirements to be eligible to graduate.
Schedule of planned ceremonies
Missouri S&T is planning at least four in-person commencement ceremonies. If there is enough interest from graduates, S&T plans to hold a fifth ceremony. The planned dates and times are:
- 6 p.m. Friday, May 14, in the Gale Bullman Building
- 9 a.m. Saturday, May 15, in the Gale Bullman Building
- Noon Saturday, May 15, in the Gale Bullman Building
- 3 p.m. Saturday, May 15, in the Gale Bullman Building
- Tentative: If there is enough demand (the four ceremonies listed above reach capacity), S&T will plan an additional ceremony at 6 p.m. Saturday, May 15, in the Gale Bullman Building.
Preliminary plans for in-person ceremonies
For the safety of guests, visitors and staff, the events will have strict guidelines, including limiting the number of graduates and guests per ceremony. These events will not be open to the public. Please read the following carefully:
- Each graduate who chooses to attend an in-person ceremony must RSVP. If you do not register in advance, you will not be able to attend.
- Each graduate may bring up to two guests, whom you will identify when you register. We understand that it will be difficult to limit the number of loved ones at your ceremony, but it is necessary to limit the gathering size in accordance with safety protocols to suppress the spread of COVID-19. Two guests will be the limit for each graduate and no exceptions will be made.
- The names of graduates who attend in-person ceremonies will be announced during the ceremony they attend. Names of graduates who do not attend in-person ceremonies will not be announced during these events.
- All attendees will be required to wear a facial covering that covers the mouth and nose.
- Every ceremony will be livestreamed via Missouri S&T’s Facebook page, available to anyone who wishes to watch.
Registering for an in-person ceremony
- If you wish to attend an in-person ceremony, you must RSVP. The registration link will be emailed to spring 2021 graduate candidates later this week.
- When you register, you will be asked to provide the following:
- The date and time of the ceremony you would like to attend. These events will fill up on a first-come, first-served basis. Once a ceremony reaches a maximum of 140 graduates, registration for that ceremony will close.
- The names and email addresses of your guests (maximum of two)
- The phonetic pronunciation of your name
- Your email address
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements for you or your guests, if applicable.
- All graduates who register for an in-person ceremony will receive an email with a link to print tickets for themselves and their guests. The tickets will be required to attend the ceremony for which you signed up, and no one will be allowed inside Gale Bullman without a ticket.
- Graduates must wear academic regalia (cap and gown) to their ceremony. The S&T Store will host a graduation kick-off and grad fair Wednesday, March 17, and Thursday, March 18. You can pick up 150th anniversary commemorative window clings and pins (free to graduates) 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the store on March 17-18.
- Missouri S&T will host a photo day, tentatively scheduled 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday, May 6, in which professional photographers from Grad Images will take pictures of graduating students in their academic regalia (cap and gown). Appointments will be required. You will receive an email soon with details and a link to sign up.
Preliminary commencement ceremony plans
The following plans are tentative and may change:
- Leading up to the event, graduates and guests will be emailed COVID-19 pre-screening information and other educational information. Please adhere to these guidelines and do not attend if you do not meet the criteria.
- If you or your guests are traveling internationally to attend commencement, please email email@example.com for additional screening guidance.
- On the day of your ceremony, you and your guests must bring tickets to enter Gale Bullman. No one will be granted access without a ticket. Please make sure you attend the time of the ceremony for which you registered (and noted on your tickets). No exceptions will be made.
- You and your guests will be required to wear a face covering that covers the nose and mouth and follow any other required safety protocols.
- Attendees will be greeted at their designated entrances and escorted to assigned seats. You will be notified in advance of designated parking and entrances.
- The facility will be cleared and cleaned following each ceremony.
- Attendees will line up outside in a designated area before being checked in. Graduates, guests and event staff are encouraged to wear comfortable shoes with low heels as well as wear sunscreen. As you wait to be checked in, please follow the signage regarding social distancing, wear your facial covering and be considerate of others.
- Please bring as little as possible with you. Strollers, large bags and backpacks will not be allowed inside Gale Bullman.
- Each graduate will be assigned a seat in a section for graduates. The seats will be set up to allow for social distancing.
- Guests will be assigned to pods of two that are set up for social distancing.
- S&T plans to announce your name at the ceremony you attend in person and you will walk across the stage as your name is read.
- Professional photographers from Grad Images and Missouri S&T will take pictures. No other professional photographers will be allowed.
- Guests and graduates may take pictures during the ceremony but must remain seated in their assigned seat as they do so.
- The ceremony is expected to last approximately one hour or less.
- Following the ceremony, guests and graduates will be escorted out of Gale Bullman to provide event staff time to properly clean before the following ceremony. Please be courteous and follow the directions of event staff.
- Photo backdrops will be set up in various locations throughout campus. If you wish, you and your loved ones may meet up at a photo location on campus following your ceremony and take photos.
- If you or your guests have symptoms and/or test positive for COVID-19 within 48 hours after your commencement ceremony, notify the S&T COVID-19 contact tracing team at firstname.lastname@example.org for contact tracing, regardless of where the test occurred.
- For questions about commencement, please email email@example.com. Please note that plans are evolving and may change.
- Email will be the main way that commencement details will be communicated. Please routinely check your university email.